Monday, October 3, 2011

In love, with the bodhrán

I have been playing the traditional drum set for six year. I love the set, don’t get me wrong, but lately I’ve been wanting to explore other percussion instruments. And thus began my relationship with the Irish bodhrán.

My drum teacher, Bob, is obsessed with the Irish culture. He visits Ireland every year, plays in an Irish band, and of course is a maniac on traditional Irish percussion instruments such as the bodhrán, the bones, and the spoons.

Growing up in an Irish family, I’ve been around these instruments all of my life. My grandfather is from Ireland and has a sick Irish accent, while my grandmother is from England and has an equally “bad ass” British accent. My mother came to America when she was four years old. So, these cultures have always been a big part of my life.

I spent countless hours watching my sister master the art of Irish dancing. We traveled from festival to festival watching her compete, and dominate. For a while I danced too, but it was short lived, due to my extreme dorkiness and lack of coordination.

Anyway, I always loved the Irish culture, as it is a big part of who I am. When Bob introduced me to the bodhrán, I fell in love.
In love, with the bodhrán - High School - timesunion.com - Albany NY

No comments: